Bunch of rambling thoughts about physical training and life

Bunch of rambling thoughts about physical
training and life

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Lake Erie

Lake Erie


Some stats about Lake Erie from Wikipedia 

Location North America
Group Great Lakes
Coordinates: 42.2°N 81.2°W
Primary inflows Detroit River[1]
Primary outflows Niagara River
Welland Canal[2]
Catchment area l
Basin countries Canada
United States
Max. length 241 mi (388 km)
Max. width 57 mi (92 km)
Surface area 9,910 sq mi (25,667 km2)[2]
Average depth 62 ft (19 m)[2]
Max. depth 210 ft (64 m)[3]
Water volume 116 cu mi (480 km3)[2]
Residence time 2.6 years
Shore length1 799 mi (1,286 km) plus 72 mi (116 km) for islands[4]
Surface elevation 569 ft (173 m)[2]
Islands 24+ (see list)
Settlements
Buffalo, New York/Erie, Pennsylvania/Toledo, Ohio/Cleveland, Ohio
This too will pass. As I come to the end of this goal (that of swimming the distance of Lake Erie) I look forward to the next lake. I really have transformed myself into a swimmer and have really been enjoying my meditation and being in my own universe. It's a nice escape from the hardships and anxiety of life. I'll try to highlight the main things I have learned or observed since the beginning of this endeavor. I'll also give some information about, "the lake of the cat" as well. 
             I started the Lake Erie swim on Thursday February 20, 2014 and finished it on Monday May 19, 2014. The total distance length wise is 241 miles or 388 km. That's 424,336 yards of lane pool swimming I did in order to complete the distance. Lake Erie is one of the five finger lakes and the eleventh largest lake in the world. It is only the fourth largest of the Great Lakes. Great Lakes being another name for the finger lakes. It is the shallowest of all the Great Lakes with the threat of fluctuating water levels. It derives it's water from Lake Superior, Lake Michigan (next goal), and Lake Huron. Wind pushes water from one end of Lake Erie to the other causing large differences in water level which was something I found interesting. There is extensive industrial development along Erie's shore as well as moderate temperatures suitable for recreation and agriculture. It is also the most biologically productive  of all the Great Lakes with a excellent walleye fishery. Good to know if I ever decide to visit and he actually lake. I really need to get my fly fishing on again, it's been way to long. 
        One final technical note about the lake is the fact that it is know as, "lake of the cat." This was derived from a nation of Indians, known as the "erielhonan." Or the "long tails." 
         So two Great Lakes down and three to go. Swimming truly is such a joy for me and I enjoy learning about bodies of water that hopefully I'll visit one day. The only thing I think that I might not like is the structural difference between lane pools and open water. In a lane pool there are measurable markings whereas in open water there's just well, open water. The only open water swimming I have ever done that I can recall has been at cedar beach to a buoy even before my love for swimming occurred. I didn't even really know how to swim and when we reached the buoy I had to hold on and rest before returning to shore. I still remember that tired, sore feeling when I finally reached shore. It was magical. The only other time was maybe two years ago at cedar point camp ground when I was camping with some friends. So needless to say I'm a pool swimmer. 
That didn't prevent me from signing up for an open water event coming up in July. And it also didn't prevent me from purchasing a triathlon wetsuit in order to do it. I can't wait.
As I have stated before on many occasions, the best thing about swimming is the meditative aspect. You are in your own universe. Just you and your thoughts with the interrupting count intervals I throw in at set points. That's the real key for me. Those counting laps take my mind off of whatever I was thinking about at the moment. The variation in thinking to just counting mixed in with the white noise of water splashing around me is incredibly meditative and soothing. So much so I don't really consider my swimming a tough workout but rather play.
That's what I did for this goal. I played the length of Lake Erie. It's always to accomplish any goal one sets out towards especially if you have a passion for it. That's when you become the goal and forget yourself and your troubles. Here's to passion. Next up Lake Michigan.
"Just keep swimming"
-Barton

 

No comments:

Post a Comment